Posted on 24/04/2019

Biarritz and Bilbao 2019

Day one:

Having met at school and leaving by coach at around 7:30pm, we made our way south to Folkstone to board the Eurotunnel. Safe to say, everyone was quite excited and loud! When we arrived at the tunnel we managed to get on an earlier train than expected and boarded quickly for our short hop under the English Channel to Calais. We traveled throughout the night and didn’t stop until breakfast.

Day two:

Many people woke a little sleepy but in good spirits. The journey continued for a while until we stopped at a service station to have breakfast and later a lunch break. We arrived at sports complex  Stade de la Girouette between Biarritz and Bayonne and straight into a rugby training session in order to run off the stiffness in our legs.  We split off into year groups and began to practice for our rugby fixtures vs RC Bal the next day. After the training sesison, we arrived at our accommodation for the next two nights, Domaigne du Pignada. The rest of the afternoon we had free time and we took the chance to relax and throw a rugby ball around, play some football and generally unwind at the hotel. We later had dinner and finished off the day with a quiz in our tour groups.

Day three:

We woke up early, had breakfast quickly and went surfing. The instructors were amazing and the waves were very nice although quite cold at first. The short lesson was very helpful and they allowed us to stay in the water very long – thank goodness we had a wetsuit! After surfing we took the chance to have a look around Biarritz which was stunning. We then went back to our hotel and did a group mini Olympics which consisted of a 60m dash, petanque, a plank competition, keepy uppy’s arm wrestling and finished off with a 10 x 250m relay which was really exciting!. Given all the excitement, dinner and time to relax before sleeping was needed.

Day four:

We ate breakfast, checked out and headed off to our rugby matches. The Year 8 teams and Year 9 B’s played at one stadium and the Year 9 A’s played at another. During the match it rained so heavily that people couldn’t see. All teams did themselves and the school proud against well drilled and skillful opposition. Oscar Hough the standout player of the day with tries for the Year 8 A’s and Year 9 B’s! We then made our way to Bilbao despite delay due an injury, but all was well and the 55 of us made our way south of the border into Spain.

Day five:

Having checked into Poshtel Bilbao late and had eaten late, we woke up a little weary but had a lovely breakfast before departing for a football training session and La Merced FC. During the session, we had another team game; this time a football tournament which was so much fun. After the training session we had a quick packed lunch before departing for our stadium tour. We went to Athletic Club Bilbao’s home ground and had a look everywhere around the stadium. We had an opportunity to buy merchandise and I bought a football signed by all the players. After this the Year 8 teams played their matches while the Year 9’s made up chants for each of the players. The match was structured into three 30 minute thirds, with La Merced FC playing teams of different strengths in each. The Year 8 A team coming away with a very pleasing 3-2 win!

Day six:

After waking up, a quick breakfast and pack, we checked out of Poshtel and explored Bilbao which was great. Year 9’s played their football matches and Year 8’s got their chance to make up some chants of their own for the Yar 9 players. our chants! The Year 9 C and B teams (including a number of Year 8’s) played against incredibly competitive opposition and for most, their first competitive football matches for FBS, enjoyed the challenge of playing against their incredibly skillful Spanish counterparts. The Year 9 A team went 1-0 up in a tight affair against Begona FC, taking the lead through talented Year 8 Kai Jennings. If it was not for a free kick from Begona FC U14 captain that even the best of professional goalkeepers would have struggled to save, we were on course for an amazing win! Blake Smith hit the bar and Amir Howe went close in the final few minutes. A 1-1 draw against such opponents was good result on tour.

We boarded the coach a bit later than expected and traveled through the night again, arriving at school at about 1:30pm. A tiring yet amazing trip.

Zac Fenton Year 9


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website